This is a pie that's been around in my family for awhile. It would make an appearance often for my sister's July birthday. It's a tasty fruit filled pie, perfect for summer!
Strawberry Rhubarb Pie
-9" deep dish pie crust (I purchased this pie crust because of a time crunch, but when I do make a crust from scratch I always use the original pie crust from Joyful Cooking.)
- 4 cups diced rhubarb (about 1.15 lbs)
- 3 cups sliced or chopped fresh strawberries
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 6 T. quick cooking tapioca
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
*The most time consuming part of this recipe, is dicing the rhubarb! Also note that rhubarb is very juicy so make sure you wear an apron so you don't get sprayed!
1. Preheat oven to 400°F and line a pan with a bottom crust.
2. Mix together the rhubarb, strawberries, sugar and tapioca. Spoon this into the pie crust and set aside.
3. Mix ingredients together for the crumb topping. Cut in the butter last until mixture is crumbly. Sprinkle this over the pie filling.
4. Bake at 400°F for the first 10 minutes, then reduce the heat to 350°F and bake for an additional 35 minutes. Serve with fresh strawberries, whipped cream or vanilla ice cream! Yum!