August 19, 2013

Baby Favorites: 0-3 months

Since Christian is now almost 10 months old, I'm already thinking back through the past year... all of the challenges, experiences, smiles, giggles, snuggles and loving moments that my family has been blessed with. In an effort to capture and relive those memories, I'm creating a Baby Favorites mini series that will list our favorite products during our first year with our first baby!
 
1. Little Beginnings Polka Dotted Blanket (originally purchased at Target)
We just happened to receive this as a gift during a shower and it has been probably THEE number one thing that we have used and love the most. It has come in handy for almost everything. We started out using this blanket from day one because it's very nice and soft and measures about 9.5"x7" which was the perfect size for a newborn to be wrapped in. It's also very light and 100% Polyester. This also became the designated nursing blanket. We still use this today and I'm thinking I should get another one just in case!
2. G Diapers
We really wanted to use a diaper that cut down our footprint drastically. I had always heard about how long it takes disposable diapers to break down (500 years!!) and I knew I wanted something different to help our Earth. So I did some research and I came up with G Diapers. They are cloth on the outside and you can either use cloth inserts on the inside OR, what we mostly use are disposable inserts. The best thing is that the disposable inserts are 100% biodegradable, the only ones on the market! We have been pretty happy with how they have been working out, and we'll definitely use them again with future children. Here are some FAQs about G Diapers.
3. Moby Wrap
I really liked this wrap when Christian was little. I could get stuff done around the house and he'd be snuggled in right there with me. I haven't tried nursing in this wrap so I can't speak to that. It looks intimidating, but after you try it a few times, you get the hang of it quickly! One thing I did not like about it though was all the material. So if you have a little one being born in the summer, I'd maybe go with a different carrier, especially since these are designed for front carrying. I would encourage back carrying for babies when they have good head and neck control and are about 15-20lbs, although this wrap's weight range is 8-35lbs. Every baby is different, I just found that the heavier C got, the easier it was to carry on my back. These are some great instructions on how to wrap, and also a few videos. TIP: try this wrap first with your significant other or a friend. I felt a lot better when I tried it first with someone, especially being a first time mom. I felt I got the wrap correct and the position of C felt good and secure and I knew I was doing it right!
4. Tide Free & Gentle
Ever since Christian has been born, we've been using Tide Free & Gentle. I love it because it's free of dyes and perfumes. C has eczema and this works great with his sensitive skin since we've never had an issue. We use this for all the laundry in our house now!
5. Boppy Pillow and Slip Cover (plus a water resistant under cover)
I liked how I had the option to purchase the pillow and covers separately. This came in handy when I needed to wash the slip cover(s) because of a spill, leak etc. Note: the under cover really is only water resistant, not water proof. I used this pillow constantly when nursing Christian, even up to about 6 months, until he could sit on his own. They now make a traveling Boppy pillow that folds and zips up.... That would have been nice. 
6. Dr. Brown Bottles
Luckily I got some as a hand me down, since I wasn't sure which ones Christian would like best. Even if we had to purchase these, I would have gotten these 8 oz bottles vs the smaller ones. Who wants to re-buy bottles because they've out grown the others? Most complaints about these bottles are that they have a lot of parts. That's not such a big deal when you have one of these dishwasher baskets. Easy peasy! (Dr. Brown also has their own brand of dishwasher baskets). Another accessory for bottles: a cooler like this one. I got one at a garage sale, but it does the same thing, holds 3 bottles standing upright, and zips. Great for transporting bottles to daycare or other locations.
7. Britax Roundabout 55 Convertible Car Seat
One of the best pieces of advice we got was to get a convertible car seat. We didn't want the standard travel system (although easier by a little) because we didn't want to grow used to having a "bucket baby" where they were in their seat all the time, and we didn't want to purchase another car seat after they out grew the travel system seat (which most of those only go to 30lbs and Christian was nearing that around 7 months!). You can purchase a seat that holds more than 55lbs, but they are more expensive, and this one has a pretty standard car seat price of about $140.

My sweet Christian at 3 months

1 comment:

  1. How cute! Love the sweet photos of your baby and loving that awesome moby wrap. We don't have kids yet, but when we do will be buying one of those! Thanks for sharing! Xo, M&K at brewedtogether.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...