-Ebelskiver pan (Williams Sonoma sells one, Amazon has a cheaper one, or you might be able to find a nice cast iron one at your local Good Will or resale shop)
-Ebelskiver turning tools (or you could try chop sticks!)
-Ebelskiver Mix (if you want something super quick and easy vs a recipe, see below)
-Ebelskiver cook book, optional (for TONS of recipes! From herbs and goat cheese, to chocolate!)
We experimented with some different combos for this round of ebelskivers. We chose to try (for the FIRST time) these:
- white chocolate chips & strawberry jam (great for breakfast!)
- Canadian bacon, cream cheese, Parmesan and cranberry honey mustard
- cranberry chipotle cheddar cheese & Jessebelle (a spicy yet sweet jelly)
Ebelskiver (family) Recipe, makes ~40
Fillings of your choice!
plus, the batter:
3 egg yolks (save whites, and fold in last)
1/2 cup sour cream
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
olive oil (or vegetable oil, PAM, shortening etc.)
1. Separate the eggs yolks and whites. Beat the egg whites until you have stiff peaks. Set aside.
2. Mix the rest of the ingredients and beat until smooth.
3. Fold in the egg whites carefully. You want to keep the batter fluffy-ish!
1. Heat the ebelskiver pan on medium heat. Spray each ebelskiver cup with olive oil, vegetable oil, or PAM. (If you only have a liquid oil available, use 1/8 of a teaspoon in each cup).
2. Pour 1 tablespoon of batter into each cup, add the filling of your choice (1 T.) and top or cover with another tablespoon of batter. *This works beautifully with one person pouring the batter, and the other adding the filling and flipping!*
3. Use your turning tools with one on each side, and flip the ebelskiver over. Let it cook for a few minutes. Done! (This takes some practice! It is pretty easy to spill the batter and not get it over in time. A tip: let the ebelskiver cook so that the edges are a little dry, then flip.)
Serve with syrup, jam or powdered sugar!
|Cheese and spicy jelly|
|Ham mixture, ready for their topping of batter|
|White chocolate and strawberry jelly!|